Dunedin and Otago Newspapers Collection
Back issues of many Dunedin and Otago newspapers are available in the McNab New Zealand Collection on the third floor of the City Library, either on microfilm or in paper copy.
Newspapers available include:
- Otago Witness (1851 – 1932)
- Otago Daily Times (1861 onwards)
- Evening Star (most editions from 1910 – 1973)
- Evening Star 7 O’Clock Edition (Star Sports) (1975 – 1979)
- Taieri Advocate (1899 – 1915)
- Daily Telegraph (1863 – 1864)
- Otago Colonist (1856 – 1862)
Many Dunedin suburban newspapers are also held, as are a number of newspapers from the wider Otago region. Please feel free to contact Heritage Collections staff to discuss your requirements.
Facilities are available to print copies from microfilm, scan to a data stick or to email scans to you.
We do not keep back issues of newspapers from other parts of New Zealand. Many of these can be found at the Hocken Library.
Many New Zealand newspapers up until the early 20th century can also be viewed online using the PapersPast website.